Monday, June 17, 2013

How reliable is your mind?

Because, when you think about it, your perceptions are so easily muddled by feelings. Take time, for example. Almost every night, I sit in bed and read or write, glancing at the clock to keep track of time. Two minutes pass, five minutes, three minutes. Then BAM! Half an hour passes and I'm blinking and thinking "When did that happen?" I was enjoying my reading so much that I forgot about time and it whooshed past. I'm sure you can relate to that. It happens either way - time flies, or it oozes past slower than cold golden syrup. As the old saying goes - "A watched pot never boils."

So that makes me think, for things that can't be measured by a clock or something, like time, how many other things do our brains get confused over? Everything, I guess. Which doesn't mean that we shouldn't listen to our minds (they're very useful indeed), I suppose it just means we need to be a little bit careful. Don't rely on your feelings.

It also makes me very thankful that there is a Book (capital "B" hint hint) that I can trust is the total truth, whatever I'm feeling or thinking, and Somebody whose mind is absolutely perfect.

Bam!

No comments:

Post a Comment